Going on a road trip does not have to include eating fast food or gas station junk. With a little planning, you can feel good about your road trip snacks.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Nature Valley.
I recently attended the Food and Nutrition Conference & Exhibition (FNCE) in Nashville, TN. Since I live about 4 1/2 hours away in the St. Louis area, I decided to make a road trip out of it.
One of the things I like about road trips is the extra packing flexibility. You don’t have to worry about down sizing all your liquids into small containers and fitting them into one quart-size bag. And, you can pack whatever foods and beverages you want.
It’s a great idea to plan ahead and bring your own food along with you on a road trip. The last thing I want to do is find myself driving along in the middle of nowhere, get hungry, and have my only options be fast food or gas station junk. With a little planning you can feel good about the things you eat on a road trip.
Here is a list of the goodies that I packed for my four day Nashville road trip.
- Fruit: bananas, apples, oranges
- Granola Bars: Nature Valley Nut Crunch bars and Simple Nut bars
- Beverages: a gallon of water, flavored herbal tea
- Veggies: bell pepper strips, baby carrots
- Individual portions of hummus
- String cheese
- An orange, mango, Asian salad from a local deli
Tips for traveling with food:
- Bring a cooler with plenty of ice to keep all the refrigerated items cold.
- If you have room, keep the cooler in the vehicle instead of the trunk, where the temperature is regulated.
- Bring napkins, spoons, forks, etc.
- Book a hotel that has a refrigerator in the room. Transfer the items from the cooler to the refrigerator when you check in.
- Keep a small trash bag in the car.
Here’s my half way to Nashville snack. A banana and the Nature Valley peanut crunch Roasted Nut Crunch bar.
I’ve teamed up with Nature Valley to spread the word that 10 of their snack bars are now gluten free. For those that need to avoid gluten in their diet, there are now gluten free Nut Crisp bars, Nut Crunch bars, Simple Nut bars, and Protein bars available for easy snacking.
Nature Valley wants to see what you like to pair with the new gluten free bars to make the perfect snack. They’re offering a chance to win one of two $500 visa gift cards in the Nature Valley Perfect Pair Sweepstakes. To enter:
Post a photo showing a Nature Valley gluten free bar and another food item, object, or activity that you feel pairs well with the bar & include the hashtag: #NVPerfectPairSweepstakes.
1) Facebook Sweepstakes Entry via Nature Valley Facebook Page
2) Instagram Sweepstakes Entry – follow @naturevalley and post to your public Instagram account using the hashtag #NVPerfectPairSweepstakes
3) Send a 3” x 5” card with your name, mailing address and email address to Nature Valley Perfect Pair Sweepstakes, P.O. Box 2605, Grand Rapids, MN 55745-2605
Full contest terms & conditions will be available via Facebook Sweepstakes Entry Page.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Nature Valley. The opinions and text are all mine.