Mojito chicken salad has shredded chicken, chopped red onion, sliced celery, and a sweet, creamy mojito dressing. The dressing gets its creaminess from Greek yogurt and mayonnaise. It is sweetened with honey. And, it gets its bright, fresh flavors from lime juice, lime zest, and fresh mint.
You will need some cooked chicken breast for this recipe. Store bought rotisserie chicken works great for this. Just remove the skin from the breasts and either shred or chop the meat.
Typically, I cook and shred my own chicken for use in salads, soups, casseroles, etc. This is how I do it. Start with bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts. The bones and skin help to retain the chicken’s juiciness and flavor. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Place the chicken on the baking sheet and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast the chicken in the oven for about 45 minutes, until it’s cooked through. Let the chicken cool for about 15-20 minutes, until it’s cool enough to handle. Remove and discard the skin. Then, pull the meat from the bones and either shred or chop it.
I always cook more chicken than I need since I will always find a good use for shredded chicken. I just put the extra shredded chicken in plastic food storage bags and store it in the refrigerator or freezer until I need it.
I served this chicken salad on sliced baguette, which was awesome. But, it would also be good on toast, whole wheat crackers, or even salad greens.
Mojito Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1/2 cup non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh mint leaves
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tsp. lime zest
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 cups shredded (or chopped) cooked chicken breast (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 large celery stalks, sliced
- Optional: bread, crackers, or lettuce for serving
- Prepare the mojito dressing. In a medium bowl, add the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, honey, mint, lime juice, zest, and salt. Whisk until well combined. Cover and store in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the salad. In a large bowl, add the chicken, red onion, celery, and mojito dressing. Stir to combine. Serve cold. Store covered in the refrigerator.
|Serving Size||½ cup|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 197 Calories from fat 51|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8||12%|
|Saturated Fat 1.5||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7||3%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|