This hearty beef and bean Maple Bourbon Chili has the deep rich flavor of bourbon with the sweetness of maple syrup.
I thought I would jazz up a traditional chili recipe with some bourbon and maple syrup. These two flavors work surprisingly well together, especially in a big comforting bowl of thick, rich chili.
I went all out with chili toppings and topped my Maple Bourbon Chili with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and chopped green onions.
Maple Bourbon Chili Recipe
- 1 lb. extra-lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 oz.) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Optional: Up to 1 cup of water (I use 1/2 cup)
- Add the beef to a large soup pot and place over medium-high heat. Break the beef apart with a wooden spoon. Add the onion. Cook 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Beef should be cooked through. Drain off any excess fat, if necessary.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Cook 1 minute, stirring often.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, bourbon, and maple syrup. *If you like thinner chili, add up to 1 cup of water at this point. Stir well. Bring the liquid to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to low or medium-low. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Let the chili rest for 5 minutes before serving.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 354 Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 4.4||7%|
|Saturated Fat 2||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.6||34%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|