The very first episode that I ever saw of Rachel Ray’s daytime talk show was sometime around 2007. I remember it because she made an Italian chicken noodle soup that inspired me to make this recipe. I’ve probably made this soup 4 or 5 times a year ever since. For someone like me who develops recipes for a living, making a dish that many times means one thing. I really, really like it!
What’s not to like about this soup? It’s healthy, easy to prepare, and delicious.
The base of this soup is an Italian seasoned broth with a touch of tomato sauce. It’s got lean chicken, whole wheat penne pasta ‘noodles’, and tons of veggies including fresh kale.
When I first started making this soup, I used spinach instead of kale. Sometimes I would use fresh baby spinach, and other times I would use frozen spinach that I had thawed and drained. So, if you don’t like kale, you could easily substitute spinach. However, I do recommend the kale. It tastes great in this soup!
Italian Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning spice blend
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1/2 lb. whole wheat penne pasta (half a box)
- 8 cups chopped kale (about 5 large leaves with the center stem removed)
- Optional: grated parmesan cheese for topping
- Add the oil to a large soup pot and place over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the celery, carrots, and onion. Cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Cook 1 minute stirring often.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Add the chicken, pasta, and kale.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Let the soup rest for 5 minutes before serving. Optional: Sprinkle individual servings with grated parmesan cheese.
|Serving Size||1⅔ cups|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 351 Calories from fat 16|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 6.5||10%|
|Saturated Fat 1.4||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.4||26%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Adapted from Italian-Style Chicken Noodle Soup from The Rachel Ray Show.