Honey barbeque chicken meatballs make a great appetizer or entrée. Flavorful ground chicken meatballs are baked, then simmered in a sweet and tangy homemade BBQ sauce.
Serve them on their own as an easy appetizer. Or, serve them on rice, slider buns, or sub rolls as an entrée.
To make the meatballs, mix together ground chicken, breadcrumbs, sliced green onions, minced flat leaf parsley, minced garlic, eggs, salt, and pepper. Form the mixture into 12-14 large meatballs and spread them on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake them just until they are cooked through (about 15 minutes in a 400 degree oven).
To make the sauce, whisk together tomato sauce, honey, Worcestershire sauce, red wine vinegar, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Transfer the sauce to a large sauce pot and let it simmer until it reduces and thickens.
Add the meatballs to the sauce and let them simmer together for about 5 minutes.
If you would like to make this even easier, you could use about 1 1/2 cups of your favorite prepared barbeque sauce instead of making your own.
Honey Barbeque Chicken Meatballs Recipe
For the meatballs
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
For the barbeque sauce
- 1-8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Prepare the meatballs. In a large bowl, add all of the meatball ingredients and lightly mix together with your hands. Do not over-mix as this will produce tough meatballs.
- Use your hands to roll out 12-14 golf ball sized meatballs and spread them out on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.
- In the meantime, prepare the barbeque sauce. In a medium bowl, whisk all sauce ingredients until well combined. Transfer the sauce to a large sauce pot. Turn the heat to medium-high and let cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce will begin to thicken.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the cooked meatballs to the sauce and gently stir to coat the meatballs. Let the meatballs simmer in the sauce for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
|Serving Size||3 meatballs & ¼ of the sauce|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 379 Calories from fat 57|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 13.1||20%|
|Saturated Fat 3.6||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4||10%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|