I brought this cucumber and shrimp appetizer to a party this past New Year’s Eve and it was great! It’s light, crunchy, and flavorful.
I also brought my caprese tarts to the party, which have the flavors of caprese salad on top of puff pastry. Caprese tarts are delicious, but the puff pastry used to make them is high-calorie and full of butter. I wanted to offset this heavy appetizer with something light and crunchy. This cucumber and shrimp appetizer was perfect for that.
All you need is three ingredients to make this easy appetizer: cucumber, chive and green onion cream cheese, and shrimp. And, if you buy peeled, deveined, and cooked shrimp, then you don’t even have to turn on your oven.
The best part is, one of these cucumber rounds only contains 12 calories! That is, if you use regular cream cheese. I have seen a reduced-fat version of chive and green onion cream cheese. If you switch to the reduced-fat version, the calorie count would be even lower.
While this was a fantastic party appetizer, it would also be a great item to serve with brunch.
Cucumber & Shrimp Appetizer Recipe
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled and sliced about 1/2 inch thick (about 30-34 slices)
- 4 oz. chive and green onion cream cheese
- 30-34 salad shrimp (or small shrimp), cooked, peeled, deveined
- 1/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- Thaw shrimp if they were bought frozen.
- Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with about ⅛ tsp. salt and ⅛ tsp. pepper and toss.
- Dry off the cucumber slices by patting both sides with paper towels.
- Place about ¾ tsp. of cream cheese on each cucumber slice.
- Place one piece of shrimp on top of each cucumber slice.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the remaining salt and pepper over the top of the appetizer. Serve cold.
|Serving Size||1 cucumber round|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 12 Calories from fat 135|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 0.9||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.6||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0||0%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|