Chicken broccoli quinoa casserole is an updated twist to the classic comfort food, chicken broccoli rice casserole. This recipe keeps the chicken, broccoli, and cheddar cheese flavors of the original dish. But, the rice is switched out for quinoa.
As the quinoa bakes in this casserole, it reacts in a similar manner as the rice would. The quinoa gets soft, starts to absorb the liquid, and creates an almost creamy sauce.
This happens to be a One Pot Wonder, meaning that all of the ingredients are mixed and cooked in one dish.
To make this recipe, spray a large baking dish with cooking spray. Add some uncooked quinoa, cornstarch, seasoning salt, pepper, chicken broth, and milk to the baking dish.
Whisk these ingredients together to dissolve the cornstarch.
Add the chicken and broccoli to the dish. Stir and spread out the chicken and broccoli to make an even layer.
Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Then, stir in some shredded cheddar cheese and cook 40 minutes more.
The chicken will cook through. The liquid will absorb into the quinoa. And, the quinoa will soften, creating a creamy, cheesy casserole.
Chicken Broccoli Quinoa Casserole Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 1/4 tsp. seasoning salt (I used Lawry’s)
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (I used skim)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite size chunks
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add the quinoa, cornstarch, seasoning salt, pepper, chicken broth, and milk to the dish. Whisk these ingredients together to dissolve the cornstarch. Add the chicken and broccoli. Stir to distribute the chicken and broccoli into an even layer. Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Add the cheese to the casserole. Stir well to combine. Return to the oven for 20 minutes, uncovered.
- Stir and cook 20 minutes more. Total cooking time is 1 hour. Quinoa should be soft and chicken should be cooked through. Let the casserole rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
|Serving Size||1¼ cup|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 340 Calories from fat 116|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 13.3||20%|
|Saturated Fat 5.9||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 2||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|