Caprese salads are one of my favorite things to make when I’ve got good fresh tomatoes. I decided to experiment with different ways to make caprese salad, and I came up with this caprese chicken salad.
I love this chicken salad because it has that fresh caprese flavor, but it can be served as a main dish. I also like that it doesn’t contain mayonnaise, like a traditional chicken salad.
This would be good for lunch or dinner. I served mine for dinner in a whole wheat pita pocket with a veggie side.
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 large skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped (Or halved cherry tomatoes)
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- ½ cup low fat mozzarella, chopped (I used sliced mozzarella string cheese)
- In a large bowl, add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and sugar. Whisk well, until vinegar and oil have combined.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and stir until the dressing is evenly distributed throughout the salad. Serve chilled.