Anytime my husband and I go to a sports bar, he always orders buffalo wings. They are pretty tasty. But, they are definitely not diet friendly. These tiny deep fried wings pack a lot of fat and calories. I decided to make something that tastes similar to buffalo wings but in a much healthier version. I came up with buffalo chicken meatballs.
I use lean ground chicken breast, minced onion, an egg, and some spices to make the meatballs. Then they are baked, not fried. I roll them into different sized balls depending on how I am serving them. Today, I made 16.
Once they are cooked, I simmer them in prepared buffalo wing sauce. Most major grocery stores carry several good brands of buffalo wing sauce with varying heat levels. Today, I just used a store brand with medium heat.
Sometimes I make these into slider sandwiches by placing a meatball and some buffalo sauce on a sliced dinner roll. I make them this way when I want to serve them as an entrée. When I am just making the meatballs (not the sandwich), I like to make smaller meatballs (20-22 meatballs per batch). It gives a better sauce to meat ratio. When I make the sliders, I make the meatballs bigger (14-16 per batch) so they fit better on the buns.
If you are making these for a party, you could use a crock pot to keep them warm for several hours.
- 1 large egg
- ¼ large red onion, minced
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup Italian bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1lb ground chicken breast
- 1 12 oz. jar buffalo wing sauce (make sure it is wing sauce, not just hot sauce)
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg. Add the onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and bread crumbs and stir to combine. Add the chicken and mix until just combined (over mixing will make the meatballs tough).
- Portion out the number of meatballs that you want to make and roll them into balls. I made 16 meatballs so I portioned the mixture into fourths, then made 4 meatballs out of each section. Place the meatballs on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake the meatballs in a 350 degree oven for 12 minutes. Flip the meatballs over and cook an additional 12 minutes.
- Once meatballs have baked, place them in a large skillet or pot. Add the bottle of buffalo wing sauce and stir to coat the meatballs in the sauce. Simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve these by themselves or on a dinner roll as a slider.
Nutrition information is for 1 meatball and 1 tbsp. of sauce.
Calories: 65 Fat(g): 3.8 Saturated Fat(g): 0.6Protein(g): 4.6 Carbohydrate(g): 3.8 Fiber(g): 0.2